Tuesday, December 22, 2015

Christmas Week


Despite the fact that we are not going to be traveling until after the holiday, this week hasn't seemed to be any less chaotic.

There have been several last minute Target trips, our Amazon Prime membership has been put to good use (Thank the Lord for free 2 day shipping!), and the dreaded BIG trip to the grocery store has been made... though there is no doubt in my mind, that something was forgotten, and we will be heading back again.


I've been spending the last couple of days scheming and gift wrapping, and scheming some more, with the hopes that everything will be perfectly in place on Christmas morning.

It's going to be very quiet and low key around here for us this year... It'll be just the four (and a half) of us for both Christmas Eve and Christmas Day... before we head out to see our family and friends back in Pittsburgh a few days later for the New Year.

I always like to try to stick with tradition though, so we'll be getting all dressed up for an early mass at church on Christmas Eve, and then we'll head back home for some apps and drinks (sparkling cider for me!) in front of the fire until the kids go to bed, when Mike and I get to play Mr and Mrs Claus and set out gifts/stuff stockings.  Then as we do every year, we will watch Miracle on 34th Street together until we can no longer keep our eyes open.

I'm sticking to a simple appetizer-style menu this year... brie, raspberry jam, and pecans in little phyllo cups, meatballs simmered in the slow cooker with cranberry sauce and chili sauce, arancini balls served with marinara, and of course this peppermint dip for a little something sweet!

For breakfast on Christmas morning, I ALWAYS make homemade cinnamon rolls, but I promised my husband I would make this Croque Madame casserole, so bring on the food coma!

Dinner will star these mini beef wellingtons, along with a side of these amazing brussel sprouts.


I'm totally looking forward to a lazy day in pajamas, watching Christmas movies, and playing with all of M&E's new toys... and then minus the road trip with 2 kids part, we can't wait to head home for some good festive times in Pennsylvania.

I hope you're all able to relax a bit and enjoy the holidays... they always go by too fast!  Merry Christmas!



No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Real Time Web Analytics