Tuesday, November 25, 2014

Thanksgiving

{via}

We're going to be hosting Mike's family for Thanksgiving dinner this year.  I love playing hostess and cooking for others, even though it can be stressful at times, it's nothing a glass (or 2) of wine can't fix.

The whole affair should be pretty low key, seeing as there will only be 5 adults plus Max and Ella, but I thought I'd share my planned menu along with a few other details.



I always like to have a few appetizers/snacks planned... even though there is a large meal involved, I don't want people starving while they wait for the turkey to hit the table.  This year I plan on making these bite-sized baked brie pops along with this savory pumpkin dip and crackers.  I also like to have a bowl of candied mixed nuts out for nibbling along with beer and cocktails.

For the main course, we will obviously be having turkey, but I am toying with the idea of trying a brine this year.  I am a purist when it comes to stuffing, so I'll be sticking with a pretty basic recipe.  As always, there will be green bean casserole, corn, and rolls, as well as sweet potato souffle and this year, I am making cinnamon honey butter to accompany the dinner rolls.

My mother in law will be bringing pumpkin pie... but I am considering the idea of mini pumpkin trifles, layered in mason jars, that people can take home with them to enjoy after Thanksgiving dinner, round 2!

I picked up some take-out containers, like the type that Chinese food comes in, to send leftovers in, that way there is no shortage of tupperware to worry about.

For our table, I am keeping it simple and rustic.  White plates, white cloth napkins, but lots of burlap, leaves, pumpkin and twine...and of course some gold touches.



I picked Ella up an outfit at the store quite awhile ago, but had a bit of trouble finding Max a shirt, so decided to make my own.  We picked up a plain white long sleeved t shirt, and I created a design on our computer, which I printed as a mirror image onto iron on transfer paper.  I'm pretty happy with the way it came out.

I can't wait to share more pictures and details of our day with you, but in the mean time, I hope you all have a wonderful Thanksgiving spent with your loved ones!
-J

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Real Time Web Analytics