Friday, March 21, 2014

Caramelized Onion, Tomato, Basil, and Gorgonzola Quiche

Professional food blogger I am certainly not. Case in point this quiche that I made tonight. Though it doesn't necessarily look like something out of the pages of Gourmet magazine... I can assure you, it tasted AH-MAZ-ING.



Being that it is Lent, and we are currently not consuming meat on Fridays, every week I feel pressured to think of something new and tasty for dinner so that we don't end up eating pizza more often than we should.  Not that there's anything wrong with pizza. Trust me, we LOVE pizza.

So here it was, Friday again, and I couldn't help but think, "what the heck can we have for dinner tonight?" "What haven't we had for awhile?" And then it hit me... Quiche!

I began scouring the contents in my refrigerator on a manhunt for some genius ingredients, and low and behold, I came up with this little gem. Caramelized onion, tomato, basil and Gorgonzola quiche.  Now, if you're not a fan of Gorgonzola cheese, then this quiche might not be for you. I suppose you could substitute another type of cheese; cheddar, mozzarella, whatever pleases your palette... But personally, I'm a Gorgonzola lover. I adore it's pungent, stinky sharpness, and the creamy gooey goodness that occurs when it is melted... So for us, Gorgonzola it is.

Also worth noting, you may use store bought pie crust as a short cut here, or if you prefer to make your own, good old Martha's recipe is my usual go-to when time allows.  This time I went the Pillsbury route. I'm fairly certain my quiche would have looked a bit more quiche-ish upon exiting the oven, had I used a less deep pie pan, or rolled my pie crust to a slightly larger size. Unfortunately that was my big mistake, and my crust sort of got lost in all of the amazing filling. That's neither here nor there though. Lesson learned, and it surely did not effect the taste.



I paired it with our standby side salad; mesculin greens, with dried cranberries, chopped pecans, red onion, and naturally, more Gorgonzola. All dressed lightly in a combination of aged balsamic vinegar and extra virgin olive oil. 

If you give this a try, or make substitutions, please let me know how it comes out, and what you think.
-J





No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Real Time Web Analytics