Sunday, March 16, 2014

A Vintage Style DIY Nursery



When we first found out that Baby #2 was a girl, I was thrilled at the opportunity to start buying all things girly and pink.  
I absolutely love having a little boy, and have thoroughly enjoyed everything boyish and blue that goes along with it, but I have to admit, I'm pretty excited about being blessed with the opportunity to have a child of each gender.
When I initially began visualizing what our little girl's nursery would look like, I was drawn to very subtle color pallets (for example, grays and pinks), and an elegant but simple decor... But then I realized something, I enjoy color way too much to stick with such a basic style... it just isn't me.
Naturally, I turned to Pinterest for inspiration, and found so many ideas/things to love. 
I've decided that I really want her room to have a sort of vintage/eclectic feel. I'm big on DIY, so there are definitely some projects I really can't wait to tackle and share here on the blog.
image via babble.com

This ombre dresser version of the now infamous "Ikea hack" is on the top of my list.  I adore this idea. For the nursery however, I will be using a shorter dresser, so that it can double as a changing table as well.  I've been eyeing some gorgeous hardware from Anthropologie to use for the knobs, so we'll see which direction I decide to go with that (I promise to share the details in a future post).

www.alovelymorning.com
In lieu of a mobile, I love the idea of using giant tissue paper pompoms, grouped together like this, in various colors. I have already collected the items to create my own pompoms, so stay tuned for a tutorial on that in the future as well.

www.icanteachmychild.com




In my opinion, every little girl needs a bookcase that can also serve as a dollhouse.  I plan on putting my husband's handyman skills to work to build something similar to this for our little girl.  I love the versions from Pottery Barn and elsewhere, but as you can probably tell by now, I'm big on handmade stuff, and I really think she will treasure something like this as she gets older, if she knows her Daddy made it just for her.

The list of things I need to accomplish is long, and due to time constraints, as well as the fact that our home is currently undergoing some renovations, it seems this nursery will not be complete in time for our little one's arrival.  I am dealing with a fair amount of guilt about this, seeing as our son's room was perfectly finished well before he arrived.  It is what it is though, and she will more than likely be in our room for the first couple of months anyhow, so I will use the extra time to make sure that when all is said and done, everything is perfect.  I can't wait to share the details with you in the future.
-J





No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Real Time Web Analytics