Wednesday, November 19, 2014

Five Reasons to Shop Handmade



As the owner of my own little shop featuring handmade knit, crochet and sewn items, showing support for other makers and other handmade shop owners is a cause that is very near and dear to my heart.

This holiday season, I can't stress enough, the importance of shopping handmade and local. So... I decided to compile a list of the top 5 reasons why I think that you should consider shopping and supporting handmade this holiday season.  In addition, I also decided to include a list of some of my most favorite handmade shops that offer a wide array of items for all of the people on your to-buy-for list this season.  Many of these shops I have personally purchased items from, and I can't gush enough about the quality of the items, the obvious amount of time you can tell went into every detail, and even the thought that went into the packaging and shipping of the items.

Here are 5 reasons to shop handmade this holiday season and always...

1.  When you shop handmade, you're not buying an item that was created in mass quantity.  These items are quality made, not made for large production and quick turnaround time.  There is a ton of attention to detail, because the makers of these items take pride in their work and want their customers to come back for more.

2.  You are potentially buying local, which helps to stimulate your local economy... but even if you are ordering something via Etsy, Big Cartel, a shop's personal website, etc, you are purchasing an item likely made in the USA, not from overseas. *Please note, a few of the shops on my favorites list are located out of the US, but the items and shops were just too fabulous not to include!

3.  You are likely helping to support a family.  I know personally, my family has made sacrifices for me to be able to stay at home with my children.  When you purchase an item from someone like me, you are helping moms and dads to support their family, while doing something that they love and enjoy, and helps them showcase their passions and talent.

4.  Handmade items are items that can be treasured for a lifetime.  More often than not, these items last longer, because they are made with good quality materials.

5.  Handmade items are made with love.  Sometimes I love an item that I make so much, that I have a hard time parting with it.  Knowing that an item that I created is being sent off for someone else to love means the world to me, and I know many other shop owners feel the same way.

With all that being said, the following is a list of my most favorite handmade shops.  Please consider shopping handmade this holiday season and throughout the year.
***If there is a shop you love, but don't see listed, please feel free to comment and share.  I love to learn about new shops and items!

Freshly Picked
Little Hip Squeaks
Sophie and Lili
Candy Kirby Designs
LWPH Sews
Sweet Littles Handmade
Sahnda Marie Kids
Lucky Sage Shop
Coral + Cloud
Shop Sadie Sky
Alexandra Rose
Hello Apparel
Gulush Threads
Mama and Little
Littlest Crochet Shop
Bannor Toys
Little Mr Ties
The Jones Market
Caged Bird Blog
Mina Loves Bows
Tnee's Teepees
Pen and Paint
Jezzie Anne Designs
Woodland Owl Trinkets
Briar Handmade
Gentry's Closet
Baby Jives Co
Candelles
East + Acland
Mushy Books
Fawn and Clover
Aidie's Hideaway
Alex & Ally

I hope you all love these shops and the items they make and sell as much as I do!  Happy shopping!
-J

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Real Time Web Analytics