Thursday, June 26, 2014

DIY Dip Dyed Tote Bag

I'm in love with the look of dip dye lately... this tank, these sandals... and I was totally feeling the urge to take on a little dip dye DIY project of my own. This perfect-for-summer tote bag was so simple to create at home, that I am now desperately trying to restrain myself from dip dying everything in sight.



I love the subtle ombré effect that was achieved here, and the beautiful aqua color I decided to go with... Although I'm yearning to try it in pink as well.


Materials-
Canvas tote bag (in your choice of size, I purchased mine at Joann's for $5, and it was labeled as a "large" tote)
Fabric Dye (such as Rit)
Salt
Water
Rubber Gloves


Directions-
1.  Mix dye according to directions on package. Mine called for a gallon of steaming hot water and 1/4 cup of salt. I used a large bucket to mix dye in... This stuff stains, so you'll want to be careful.
2.  Dip just the bottom few inches into dye and allow to sit for about 10 minutes.
3.  Lower bag another few inches, and wait another 10 minutes.
4.  Repeat step 3 as many times as desired for ombré effect. My bag has 3 color layers (not sure if layers is the appropriate word to use here, but you get what I mean.
5.  Remove from dye, rinse with cold water, and hang outside to dry over night, or if you are incredibly impatient like me, hang for about an hour, and then throw it in the dryer to expedite the process).

This tote is perfect for the  beach/pool, to be used as a reusable grocery bag, or even as an every day bag.

Now I am considering adding a pretty liner, or even removing the handles and adding leather ones.  Decisions, decisions...

-J

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Real Time Web Analytics