Wednesday, December 31, 2014

2014: A Reflection

{via}

I began this blog just slightly less than a year ago after a failed prior attempt. I had the best of intentions when I started my first blog, but at the time, life got in the way and I didn't make it a priority.

Using 2014 as a fresh start, I decided to give blogging another whirl, and Contemporary Domestics was born. 

The brainchild of an inspired stay at home mom, looking for an outlet to share about our day to day life, our diy attempts and projects, our love of certain products, recipes we enjoyed, etc., the name arose from my love affair with the concept of the modern day homemaker... the "new domesticity", a title I had come across in a book I was reading on the topic around that time.

I wasn't really sure when I set out to write about all of this random (for lack of better word) stuff, that anyone would even care to read about it, but I was certain I wanted to move forward anyhow, for my own personal record, if nothing else.

Fast forward several months, and this little space of mine has grown a great deal. I still have ton to learn about proper blogging etiquette and terminology, my photography skills are a perpetual work in progress, but they have improved for sure, and though I may not have thousands of dedicated readers, at the end of the day I'm satisfied with where things are, and the direction they are headed.

I'm looking forward to 2015 as yet another "fresh start", and I'm optimistic about what it has in store for me, for my family, and for this blog... It seems a prerequisite for moving forward, is to reflect upon where you've been, so I thought it only seemed appropriate, on this last day of 2014, to reflect on some of the major moments from this past year. It was a (mostly) good one, and reminiscing through this blog was the perfect reminder of that.


2014 was a year full of projects. My love of all things handmade grew exponentially, and there were times I couldn't keep up with the ideas in my head or the lists of items I was just dying to make. From baby blankets, to herb markers, to succulent pots and more, I had such blast this year designing and creating, and can't wait to indulge in and share even more projects in 2015.



On April 23rd, we welcomed Ella Rose into the world... We were anxious and excited about her arrival. Uncertain about how our family dynamic would change, it turns out, this new bundle, with her full head of thick brown hair, would only make our love grow on so many levels.


In July we celebrated Max's 2nd birthday with mixed feelings of joy over the little boy he has grown into, and sadness at just how fast this time goes by.


We also lost a beloved family member in July... our sweet hound Homer had to be put down, due to an illness that could not be controlled.  Losing a pet was by far one of the hardest things our family has ever dealt with.  He is missed and thought about daily.




In August we took our first vacation as a family of four, when we packed up the car and head North to my home state of Maine. It was literally pure bliss for me to share the beauty of Maine in the summertime with my family.  Max was just old enough to really enjoy the beach, and watching him play in the sand brought back the best memories of my childhood.  I hope to make the trip again in the summer of 2015.


In the early fall we had our first ever professional family photo shoot with Jacquie from The Sweeter Side of Mommyhood, and though we had a bit of a tough time corralling our busy toddler, I love the way the photos turned out.  Memories I will treasure always.




Aside from all of that, we celebrated many milestones and survived the holiday season.  We even cut down our very own Christmas tree for the first time ever this year.

It was an overall fabulous and memorable year, and I am so looking forward to what the future holds in this blessed life I lead.  I don't really have any resolutions for 2015, but I always have goals that I am striving for.  I hope to become more organized, I hope to slow down a bit, I hope to learn from my mistakes, and I hope to be the best wife, mother, and human I can be.

I wish you all the happiest of New Years, and hope that 2015 holds for you all of the things you wish for. I'll be celebrating from the comfort of my own home, with my babes, likely in my pajamas... glass of champagne in hand of course.
Goodbye 2014.  Hello 2015.
-J
xoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Real Time Web Analytics